Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sunrise Over The Sierras


Sunrise Over The Sierra 1
Originally uploaded by paldusty
When we get a chance of rain from the West we get these really deep colors at sunrise.

What I have been wanting to write about is something that happens every year. That is Time's and Life's and others "The year in pictures". I am amazed and in awe of these sets of photos that are taken and then put in the group. If I have a fantasy it would be to be one of the photographers that are all over the world bringing the world to everyone at home. To be at the place when the moment is so descriptive of what is going on in our world is just stunning to me. Sometimes when we view images we forget that there is one other person right there. The photographer.Particular images that stand out to me are shots of mountain climbers hanging over the edge of some precipice and then you realize that the photographer is there too!

The dedication to the craft is, well, lets just say that I am jealous. I am not the bravest person that ever walked the earth, but for some reason I would, in a heart beat go to Iraq, Afghanistan, Darfur, Somolia, etc. as a photographer. It is, of course not as romantic as I dream of. I'm sure there is a lot of time just waiting to get somewhere or talking someone into getting access to "where the action is". The living conditions are not great to say the least, but I can only imagine the feeling that they get when they DO get that shot, that moment in time that shows exactly the situation from exactly the right angle. No days we have digital of course and in some ways the technology would be a help to get the images back home to where they can be placed in the paper or on the web. Just think how much more difficult it was when there was only film.

Do yourselves a huge favor and check out all of the various "The Year In Pictures, 2009" and take a trip back through the year that was. I don't think you will be disappointed. And, if you see an image or two the really stick out to you, find the photo credit and drop the shooter an email and let them know that you thank them for their contributions.

No comments: